Study Financial Planning
The Advanced Certificate in Financial Planning Programme provides a different and needed model of education in this discipline, some of its characteristics being:
- Providing the learners with a solid grounding in the academic theory underpinning the main concepts of various financial planning related fields, the curriculum includes a practical component.
- Included in the curriculum is a range of relevant generalised modules that aim to broaden the knowledge base of our learners.
- The result is a well-rounded qualifying learner who, on successful completion of the curriculum, has the option either of entering the world of work immediately, or of continuing with further study in the fields of Financial Planning.
The qualification will thus empower learners to acquire knowledge, skills, attitudes and values required to operate responsibly in the financial planning sector.
The curriculum is structured in such a way that learners, during the course of their studies, will be exposed to certain generic competencies that will assist their future careers.
- The ability to draft a financial plan.
- The ability to gather, analyse and present information.
- Knowledge of the use of industry specific products.
- The ability to use various methods of presentation for communication purposes.
- The ability to identify and suggest possible sound solutions to a problem.
- The ability to organise work requirements so as to do assignments regularly.
- The ability to understand that the financial world is a set of related economic systems.
- Learners will be employable on completion, but at the same time will have the knowledge base to continue with further learning.
The Financial Planning Programme Is Ideal For...
Learners that want to train themselves to practice as specialist financial planners in the financial planning environment, and that want to be able to provide specialist professional financial planning services to a range of clients in business as well as apply knowledge, skills and competence for personal advancement and gainful economic activity in a lucrative professional field. This will ensure that “The Wealth Planning Industry” is provided with capable qualifying learners and ensure that the foundation of innovative and knowledge-based economic and wealth planning leadership is widened.
Further, the qualification aims to enhance the constructive role individuals need to play as intellectual leaders in the financial planning industry of South Africa. The motivation for this qualification is to present appropriate and salient learning outcomes in the field of Wealth Management & Financial Planning.
Admission Requirements For Financial Planning
- A Certificate in Financial Planning or a relevant NQF 5 Qualification
- A basic knowledge of/and interest in Financial Planning
Financial Planning Career Opportunities
- Internal Broker Consultants
- Financial Planners
- Independent Financial Advisors
- Wealth Managers
- Compliance Officers
- Portfolio Managers
- Financial Consultants
- Tax Planners
Curriculum Includes The Following Subjects
The following topics will be dealt with in detail and to a difficult level in order to ensure the learner has the necessary level of knowledge:
Fundamentals of Financial Planning
- Fundamentals of the profession
- Role-players in the industry
- Financial Planning environment
- Legislation (FAIS, FICA, PPR, POCA)
- Money Laundering
- 6 Step Financial Planning process
- Financial Calculations (Time value of money, Simple & Compound Interest)
- Definition of Risk
- Planning & Management
- Scenario Planning
- Definition of Insurance
- Insurable Risk & Insurable Interest
- Introduction to the Long Term Insurance Act
- Introduction to the Short Term Insurance Act
- Overview of Health Care in SA
Tax and Retirement Planning
- Taxable Income / Gross Income
- Definition of Capital
- Exemptions & Deductions
- Taxable Allowances
- Dividends Tax
- CGT & Calculations
- Donations Tax
- VAT & Transfer Duty
- Estate Duty
- Definition of Property & Deemed Property
- Valuation of Assets
- Taxation on Lump Sums
- Tax Deductibility
- Introduction to Employee Benefits
- Economic Influences
- Business Cycle
- Exchange Rates
- Definition of a Portfolio
- Investment Process
- Different Markets
- Investment Products
- Tax on Investments
- Law of Succession
- Formalities & Drafting of a Will
- Intestate Succession
- Matrimonial Property Act
- Introduction to Trusts
- Estate Planning Objective
- Business Entities
- Products & Implementation
- Buy & Sell Insurance
- Company Owned Policies
- Taxation of Company Owned Policies
- Key-man Insurance
- Understanding Financial Statements
Upon successful completion of the provider programme, the student will receive an Advanced Certificate in Financial Planning from Centurion Academy.
The assessments will be done on an ongoing basis including tests, presentations, assignments and a final examination.