Study Early Childhood Development
aim of the Higher
Certificate in Early Childhood Development studies, is to educate students in
order to fully
understand the developmental factors of children from infancy
grade RR. The
ECD programme will
to identify remedial
problems and to monitor progress to ensure optimal development of each child in the
Early Childhood Development studies is offered at all our campuses.
Duration of studies:
Full time: 1 year
Part time: 2 years
The Early Childhood Development Programme Is Ideal For...
- have a passion for working with small children
- are interested in starting their own day care centre
are considering au pair work
Admission Requirements For Early Childhood Development
- NSC (Gr 12) with admission to Higher Certificate studies or National Certificate (Vocational) with the minimum requirements for admission to Higher Certificate studies, as specified by UMALUSI
- A person aged 23 or older with work experience in this field of study, will also qualify for admission.
Work Integrated Learning (WIL)
Students work at a registered pre-primary school / day care centre of their choice, for a total of 480 hours.
Full time students have to complete these hours during the year.
Part time students have to complete the hours over a two year period.
Early Childhood Development Career Opportunities
- Pre-primary school teacher up to Gr RR
- Day Care
- Au Pair
- Teacher's Assistant
Curriculum Includes The Following Subjects
- Historical and Philosophical Perspective
- Learning and Brain Development
- Language Development; children with special learning needs
- The Daily Program: Science and Maths in the daily programme
- Music, Movement, Art
- Safety, Observation and Assessment